Blog FastForeword by Pam

FastForeword by Pam

One of the main reasons Laurie, Gordon, and I started Foreword Literary was to build careers. We want to build our author’s careers, we want to be instrumental in finding new literary talent such as Danielle, and Jen, we want to be an incubator of publishing for a long time to come.

How do you build a brand?

Laurie says you write five books in the same genre. I say that now too. Five full-length books is kind of a big deal.

So how do you use the digital revolution to build branding in traditional publishing?

FastForeword will e-publish short fiction (10,000 to 20,000 words) and e-serials in the author’s genre to help build a brand. Separate from our agency so that all authors can benefit from the service, FastForeword has employed an editor, a publicist, and a cover designer to ensure your short fiction will find a fan base.

We also wanted this program to be as simple as possible. We offer a 70/30 split on all the money we collect for these short titles, all sub rights are held by the author, and the right to publish the story again reverts back to the author after two years.

I hope you are as excited about this branding venture as we are.

As the program gets started we are opening it to agents and published authors first. Please email your proposal and biography to fastforeword@forewordliterary.com and put your genre in the subject line. Then we can discuss the program in more detail.

Comments (7)

1. Nicole Valentine - Reply

March 5, 2013 at 10:28 am

This is great, Pam. I’m excited for you and excited for our industry. As someone who has her foot in both Crafts (Tech and WRiting), I know this is an idea whose time has come.

2. K.M. Jackson - Reply

March 5, 2013 at 10:38 am

Wonderful. Congratulations on your new venture!

3. Hilary Harwell - Reply

March 5, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Congrats on the new venture. Sounds amazing!

4. Anne R. Allen - Reply

March 5, 2013 at 4:48 pm

What a brilliant idea! I agree with Laurie that it takes five books to establish brand. It’s very hard with one or two. But writing five full length books takes a whole lot of energy and time. If a few shorts in the genre will do the same thing–why not? Short fiction is coming into its own in so many ways in the digital age. Congrats to all of you!

5. Hilary Sierpinski - Reply

March 6, 2013 at 8:44 am

So smart. Congrats to all of you and I really do wish you much success!

6. Courtney - Reply

March 7, 2013 at 8:06 am

What a great concept! As a reader, I say “Yes”! I would love to have more of those short works from some of my favorite authors.

7. John c - Reply

March 14, 2013 at 11:16 am

Good luck on the new venture. Sorry we lost contact after last year’s SFWC, I was busy editing both books. You’ve hatched an interesting concept with the short fiction branding. Tell me more!//John